Old July 11th 03, 05:14 PM
wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX

Default Do bicycles and cars mix?

One of the reasons why the death rate on US highways is so
much lower than that of Europe is that we have had the courage to
ban bicycles from major roads. The two modes of traffic never
mix at all.

Sorry, I have to disagree on the point that bicycles should be banned from
major roads.

My UK experience is of cycling on major roads *as is my right over here* and
finding it a generally enjoyable experience and I've not had a run-in with a
vehicle. Yes, there are some idiots behind the wheels of motorised transport,
but on the whole, we mix well and safely - but we cyclists have to fight to
have it so. Many European countries have a wonderful culture of *respecting*
and *encouraging* cycling - more so than here in the UK. I'm off to Paris for
the last stage of Le Tour and then on to germany to cycle part of the Rhine
cycle route and I can't wait to get there! A friend of mine has cycled the part
of the Rhine I'm going to and tells me it's cycling heaven compared to the Uk
as cycling is an accepted and normal part of life.

I don't know what the USA experience is like as I've never driven or cycled
there, but I do know I would *loathe* being in a situation where the car was so
paramount that non-motorised methods of getting from A to B was discouraged or
banned the way it *appears* to be in the States. I can see the UK heading that
way and I will resist it all I can!

Cheers, helen s

This is sent from a redundant email
Mail sent to it is dumped
My correct one can be gleaned from
by getting rid of the overdependence on money and fame