Old June 3rd 04, 08:31 PM
Matt Bouchard

Default Advice for first bike: new or used (specialized allez elite vs cannondale r2000)

Thanks for all the feedback.

I firstly wanted to know if buying a used bike for my first, was a bad
idea. Since no one mentioned that, then I think everyone agrees its
ok. I didnt know how much bikes have changed over five years, but it
looks like the Cannondale is still a good bike.

For the touring thing: it really is a "might do it someday" thing, and
based on the second reply, it looks like it can do some light touring,
which is all i really need here in California - maybe a total of 7-10
pounds of gear.

The one hesitation is that the Cannondale is a double and not a
triple. I'll likely be moving back to San Francisco afterwards, but I
know lots of people use doubles on small hills.

For reply number three, I had thought Cannondale had a lifetime
warranty on the frame. I totally respect Specialized and Im
considering buying the cannondale and using it for a year then getting
a nice specialized if I stick with cycling.

matt

Gary wrote in message ...
May I add one small point: if you buy the Specialized new you get a
10-year warranty on the frame. Having broken my old Specialized 2000
year model frame last year I was delighted to receive a 2004 year model
replacement with NO charges.
Just something to consider among the other fine points made here.
Gary

Matt Bouchard wrote:
Hi...

This will be my first real road bike purchase so, apologies if this
sounds a bit silly. I'm looking to buy my first real road bike in 15
years (Im 31). I will be using it for a triathlon here in California
in Sept. Afterwards I hope to integrate some touring(w/camping), but
Ill never do any racing. My budget is $850 for bike + $150 for
everything else.

I'm looking at two bikes:

1) New Specialized allez elite 2004 triple. Can get it at my LBS for
$850+tax which seems like a good price. (is there a way to stop the
clicking of the derailer?)

2) A good condition used 1999 Cannondale R2000 with Ultegra, Cane
Creek Crono Wheels, Reynolds Carbon Fiber Fork, 3T Prima 199
Handlebar, CP Pave ergometric seat. Asking is $800. Its from a guy at
work and the bike has been taken care of, and the size is right.
Here's a pictu http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/409afe82...ZPOvABkWXm2Vy8

I ruled out the Giant OCR1 since it didnt seem to fit as well.

Assuming both bikes fit me well, which would you go for? I think most
would say go for the new bike, but I think the cannondale might be a
better deal. I still have my '94 cannon MTB and I think they make good
stuff; brother swears by specialized. Either way, Im going to be
happy.

Thanks in advance,
matt