Old August 6th 18, 05:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

Default Some bicycling is really expensive for parts

On 04/08/2018 11:47 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 17:24:35 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

I was looking at the Mountain Equipment Co-Op site for tires and a cassette for a 700C hybrid that I'm tuning up for a friend. Whilst on the site I saw 26" tire for $240.00 CDN. Vee Tire Co Snowshoe XL Studded 26" Tire https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5047-2...ded-26%22-Tire Btw the tire is made in Thailand.

Then I saw a 12 speed cassette 10 -50 teeth for $611.00 CDN! https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5053-7...Speed-Cassette

What gives with these prices? Car tires are not nearly that expensive and I bet motorcycle tires cost less too.

Baffled by these prices.

Cheers

I suspect that is very much a matter of "you want it, we got it". the
extra cost of making a 12 speed cassette would be the cost of making
two more cassette cogs, assuming a road bike type cassette. Many cogs
appear to be stamped out so once the tooling is paid for it would be a
matter of Stamp, Stamp. Plus, of course the cost of the steel plate
used.

I'm fairly sure that this is true of most bicycle parts and
components.
--

Cheers,

John B.

2 more than what? 11 speed is pretty standard these days. Anyway, you
can find 12 speed cassettes for a lot less than the one SRA listed. I
don't think it's the extra cog that makes it that expensive.