Old March 6th 09, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Shared cycle path - auditorially distracted pedestro-kretinsstepping into the path of cycles

On Mar 6, 4:40*pm, "Light of Aria"
wrote:
"Phil Armstrong" wrote in message

Light of Aria wrote:

I am increasingly concerned / distressed / irritated by fools with
headphones on who meander along shared use cycle paths, whom upon
approaching, I sound the courtesy bells several times, and yet the
pedestrians do not acknowledge one's approach.

This sounds suspiciously like a piece of concern trolling to me.

Replace cyclist with car driver & pedestrian with cyclist in the OP's
rant. Does it still sound reasonable?

Shared use paths are just that: shared use. If you can't cope with a
pedestrian acting unpredictably then you're going too fast.

Phil

--
http://www.kantaka.co.uk/.oOo. public key:
http://www.kantaka.co.uk/gpg.txt

More or less, I am of your opinion here. Shared use cyclists are adequate
for meandering along slowly but perilous above a certain speed.

I think the use of headphones on a shared use cycle path however to be as
unreasonable as drunk-driving and jumping red-lights.

....but more reasonable than riding in such a way as to be likely to
collide with a legitimate user of the path behaving in a predictable
manner perhaps?

How do you stand on the culpability of a road user who collides with a
small child who "runs out without warning or looking"? Is a deaf
pedestrian on a shared use cycle path as unreasonable as drunk-driving
and jumping red-lights?

best wishes
james