Old June 28th 20, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

Default LETTER - Southampton's transport plan will benefit everyone

On 26/06/2020 10:57, JNugent wrote:
On 25/06/2020 14:05, Simon Mason wrote:

QUOTE: And at around 12mph I have time to brake for pedestrians that
seem to just ignore you on those left hand turns ENDQUOTE

A clear indication that the writer does not know the law concerning
turning traffic and pedestrians...

....but knows the overriding directive not to run them over.

It's not a law.
#170 Take extra care at junctions. You should ... give way.

It's not difficult to notice most drivers don't have a clue.

A few months ago, I was behind another cyclist that I knew and we were
about to turn left. There was a pedestrian on the pavement and he (the
cyclist) slowed to let the pedestrian pass.

I thought to myself "well done, someone that understands the rules".
Moments later he spoke to me saying that he slowed down because the
pedestrian didn't seem to be paying attention.

I told him that he was supposed to give way when turning. He genuinely
thought he had been the hero.