Old June 29th 20, 07:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

Default LETTER - Southampton's transport plan will benefit everyone

On 28/06/2020 15:29, JNugent wrote:
On 28/06/2020 11:34, TMS320 wrote:
On 26/06/2020 10:57, JNugent wrote:
On 25/06/2020 14:05, Simon Mason wrote:

QUOTE: And at around 12mph I have time to brake for pedestrians
that seem to just ignore you on those left hand turns ENDQUOTE

A clear indication that the writer does not know the law
concerning turning traffic and pedestrians...

...but knows the overriding directive not to run them over.

Frightening pedestrians by riding straight at them or remonstrating
with them when they have the right of way (but the cyclist at best
appears not to know that) is unacceptable. I'm sure you will agree.
At least, I hope you will.

You're right. It is not acceptable to frighten pedestrians by driving
one and a half tonnes or more at them.

It's not a law. #170 Take extra care at junctions. You should ...
give way.

It's not difficult to notice most drivers don't have a clue.

Even if that were true (it isn't), it wouild not be relevant.

Don't be stupid.

The "big boys do it" defence is not valid.

Then you admit the big boys do it. Then big boys shouldn't point their
finger.

A few months ago, I was behind another cyclist that I knew and we
were about to turn left. There was a pedestrian on the pavement and
he (the cyclist) slowed to let the pedestrian pass.

I thought to myself "well done, someone that understands the
rules". Moments later he spoke to me saying that he slowed down
because the pedestrian didn't seem to be paying attention.

I told him that he was supposed to give way when turning. He
genuinely thought he had been the hero.

Thanks for reinforcing my point.

You didn't make a point.