Old June 30th 20, 06:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default New CCFL, 26650, 18650, or 3AA

On 6/30/2020 9:25 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

snip

I presume that you believe that no specifications are an improvement
over inflated specifications.

The inflated specification is in the product name. It may be that Amazon
is frowning on false product descriptions.

snip

Oops. That should be a 14500 LiIon cell.

I can't imagine that happening much since 16500 Li-Ion cells are not
something the average consumer would ever buy.

They're being offered for sale all over eBay and Amazon:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Li-Ion+14500+battery
I've also repaired 3 such AA (14500) cell flashlights mostly be
replacing the AMC7135 current regulator chips. It's probably not a
common way to destroy a flashlight, but it happens. It also might be
a good reason why flashlight vendors are hesitant to supply AA
holders, while flashlights made for battery vendors have no such
hesitation.

You can buy the dummy batteries to use with the 14500 cells and use one
14500 and two dummies (and in many cases one 14500 and one dummy).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133434659198

snip

My guess(tm) is that the Amazon flashlight in question actually uses
three AAA cells.

It comes with a 3AA adapter and an 18650 spacer.

snip

Accurately rating a LiIon cell is a bit of a challenge. Do you use
the industry de facto standard of measuring the discharge rate at
0.2C, which is useless for a flashlight that often operates at 1C or
more?

It is not useless to use the industry standard. It is known that that at
higher discharge rates the mAH rating is lower.