Old July 1st 20, 06:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Default Disc Failure

On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 5:58:34 PM UTC+2, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 30, 2020 at 9:30:20 AM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:
On Tuesday, June 30, 2020 at 5:59:21 PM UTC+2, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 30, 2020 at 8:46:01 AM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:
On Tuesday, June 30, 2020 at 4:29:59 PM UTC+2, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 30, 2020 at 1:04:04 AM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 29/6/20 4:24 pm, Tosspot wrote:
On 29/06/2020 02:06, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, June 28, 2020 at 2:41:57 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
There's a lot wrong here but the flopping disc and loosened bolts
have worn into the fork casting.

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/faildisc.jpg

Could be a great advertisement for earbuds!

Wow, even with earbuds, how do you not feel that? I use loctite on my
six-bolt rotors or the factory supplied thread-locker on rotor
bolts.

I've never comeÂ* cross the idea that people *don't* use a drop of
LocTite Blue on them.Â* One of the few (only?) places I use thread lock.

I admittedly have not been using disc brake equiped bikes for many
years, but I haven't had any rotor bolts come loose either and I don't
bother with thread goop. I just nip them up tight. I think I would
notice fairly quickly if they came loose and I always carry a multi tool
so I could easily tighten the bolts while I am out.
Wear on the disk cause vibration that can counter-rotate the screws out. It may be likely that you look often enough at your bike to catch if but proper torque is not "nipping it up. As Andrew's picture demonstrates..

Every 6 bolt disk I bought came with screws with that blue goop on. Every centerlock disk I bought came with a lockring. If you torque the screws or lockring to spec the disk don't come loose.

Lou

While I agree with your comments via the locktite compound, how do you "torque" the center ring properly? Mine came with a plastic tool that you hand-tightened.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lnc1af6H3V1rNhTd8

Lou

The center lock wheels I had had a large ring and nothing at all like that tool you showed. The plastic tool fit over the OD of the ring and was hand tightened.

As far as I know Shimano 'invented' the center lock system and the lock ring uses the same spline pattern as the lock ring for their cassettes and you use the same tool to secure both rings.

From my spare parts cabinet:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/giz6J28VTghKAY8d8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HxvuSdawFzqs1vyo9

I can't remember anything you described for a disk rotor. I can remember a plastic tool to preload/adjust a XTR FC-970 crankset.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yuSXJawUwwtjMZRn8

Lou