Old July 3rd 20, 09:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default THE CASE FOR A MANDATORY CYCLE HELMET LAW

On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 8:51:53 PM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 09:40:18 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Just to make a point about M95 masks. The pore size is 3 micrometers
in diameter and the size of a covid-19 virus is 1.2 nanometers. so
the size differential is 20 times.

Please check your math:

1.2 nanometers = 1.2*10^-9 meters
3 micrometers = 3*10^-6 meters
3*10^-6 / 1.2*10^-9 = 2.5*10^3 = 2,500 times as large.

"Fact check: No, N95 filters are not too large to stop
COVID-19 particles"
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/06/11/fact-check-n-95-filters-not-too-large-stop-covid-19-particles/5343537002/
The COVID-19 particle is indeed around 0.1 microns in size,
but it is always bonded to something larger. "There is
never a naked virus floating in the air or released by people...

Secondly, the N95 mask itself uses electrostatic absorption,
meaning particles are drawn to the fiber and trapped,
instead of just passing through.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Actually it was 120x10-9 meters. The major point being that it was never designed to stop viruses and does not. I was talking to a surgeon that spends a great deal out of the US working with Doctors Without Borders yesterday. Here he owns a vineyard. Neither of us was wearing masks and we talked about it. Most of his work is in Africa so the one worry he has is AIDS. He says that if they have a HIV positive patient he wears two M95 masks and a face shield.

Like all very rich people he inherited it mostly from his Grandmother who ran a profitable vegetable farm in San Lorenzo. Where I lived there was a Mr.. Potts that became exceedingly wealthy in the time during and after the gold rush with a Chicken and egg farm. He then traveled the world collecting butterflies. If you go into the Golden Gate Park Museum of Natural History his collection is there today.

I bought four cases of wine off of our surgeon. Mostly white wine for my wife but a case of 2012 Cabernet. It is hell being old and without any real financial problems other than you don't know what the future may hold. My older brother worked all his life for the Southern Pacific Railroad and was expecting a comfortable retirement. Then just after he retired they sold the SP to the CP and through all of the workers onto Social Security and
Medicare. My younger brother remained blissfully ignorant of the real world and his retirement depends on Calpers. Calpers is heavily invested in foreign markets and California because of this lockdown may not be able to contribute to it for a very long time.