Old July 21st 03, 05:56 PM
Doug Huffman

Default tour de france : scandalous

And the rule is to accept 'stuff' from spectators only with the greatest
caution lest one become sickened inadvertently or advertently. The spectator
should be punished.

This sort of spectator is exactly why I left auto racing before I had to
start carrying a baton. Ask Gordon Johncock - yeah, I know he's a nobody -
about the time a full can of coke landed between his front and rear wheels
and almost in his cockpit. He stopped 'safely' at Turn-11 at Road Atlanta,
did a lap or two around his car while cursing and drove off.

Screw spectators.

"Mark Weaver" wrote in message

"Walter Mitty" wrote in message
Am enjoying my first full Tour on the TV : (an evening job helps)

Lance was just knocked off his bike by a ****ing stupid spectator. What

are
the "rules" here?? Will Ulrich pull up and let Lance get back into the

race
or is it just "rub of the green" as they say in Golf?

That spectator should be hung by his toes. All that effort, training,
determination, cat & mouse ruined by one foolish asshole.

Not clear it was the spectator's fault -- he (or she) was just holding a

bag
of something standing alongside the route and Lance cut very close to the
edge of the road and caught his brake lever on it. The fan wasn't one of
those jumping out in front and back and the last moment -- he was just
standing there.

Mark