Old April 10th 08, 07:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dre[_2_]

Default ceramic bearings

"Lou Holtman" wrote in message

"Dave Mayer" wrote in message

"Rick Roof" wrote in message
Just installed ceramic bearings in my front wheel. The original
bearings seem much smoother. Is this just because the ceramics are
not broke in?

If there was a difference in 'smoothness' between steel and ceramic
bearings, it would be so infintesimal so as to be immesurable with real
equipment. Difference in watts power usage on the bike?? Basically
zero.
Aerodynamics is many orders of magnitude more important.

The only possible positive of ceramics is that they may survive a little
longer in a hub that is contaminated with grit and water. Maybe.

But this brings up the bigger question as to why not just appropriately
maintain your hubs?

Agreed

An even better solution would be to get a hub that has
a grease injection port.

That is the second stupiest way to maintain a hub. The first is not to
maintain the hub at all. You have to inject a ton of grease to push out
the
old dirty grease through the seal. Not very healthy for the seal. Choose a
hub that is easy (take apart and adjust afterwards) to maintain. Then you
maintain it more often. I vote for Campy hubs.

Then, maintenance would amount to a minute per
year to squeeze some grease into the hub shell and wipe up the old stuff.

Lou

I vote for sealed bearing hubs, ie, no maintenance You just ride until
they **** themselves, then replace. I haven't had to replace one yet and I
have a couple of hubs that have had an absolute kaning (in the mud and
water).

I cant wait till the XT hubs on my SS die so I can replace them with some
nice DT's, then I never ever have to worry about those stupid shimano
setups, such a pain to set, especially when I have to replace *yet* another
busted freewheel assembly

Cheers Dre (talking about mtb hubs here though)