Old August 3rd 18, 02:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Default question about climbing

On Fri, 27 Jul 2018 14:22:43 -0700,
On 2018-07-22 11:33, wrote:

[...]

... Any climbing experts in this group.

I am certainly not one. To me climbs are just a necessary
evil of living in a hilly area. It's always a net 1200ft
coming back from the valley with lots of ups and downs in
between. Unfortunately it is not always possible to let'er
rip on the downhills to gain momentum.

You should get a Garmin or ride with someone who has one to
see what the real elevation gain is between Sacto and Cameron
Park. Saw-tooth climbs count extra, probably 50%.

Good idea. This weekend I'll be riding with someone who has one
of those fancy GPS-driven "bicycle computers". Maybe it has
grade measurement, I'll ask him.

I use a Garmin Edge 500, not too pricey (nor big) and includes a
barometer. It can display grade on the fly, though it's not
always terribly accurate. On sustained climbs, it usually settles
in to something that is pretty close to real.

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Heart-...dp/B010SDBFIE/

Over 300 bucks! In my book that is pricey. I think I'll continue living
not knowing what grade I just cycled up.

I did 1,200 feet of climbing in about three or so miles...

That works out to a little under 8% constant grade--very
respectable!

It is.

Next week I'll have to go up something that probably does this in less
than two miles, on dirt with loose gravel. Not looking forward to that
section of trail except on the way back when we can bomb down those
switchbacks. Good thing is that my MTB has a granny gear.

You can use sites such as www.strava.com to see climbs in your area, and
average gradients, peak grades aren’t terribly accurate, as you’d expect.

How does one find that information about a certain grade without being a
member there? Or maybe with being a member. Yesterday I asked a riding
buddy who has a smart phone to sign up while he was over for dinner. If
that's not possible we'll just have to ride these grades again now that
he is signed up.

You can search for them with out being a member though does rely on knowing
what the segment name for said hill is!

One nr? You may be https://www.strava.com/segments/1009727

The app has a fairly good interface for looking at segments, the web site
is not very good to be honest! In that it doesn’t show all segments and as
you move the map it changes etc.

Can't search anything there, it wants me to sign in. Oh well, I'll just
ride those grades this weekend with a buddy who signed up for Strava
yesterday. Then we should know.

I use Strava to plan routes, to follow/mildly guided on my Garmin.

I’m fairly heavy but I’m a slow but strong climber so gradients don’t phase
me.

Same here except I really don't enjoy climbs. At all. I get up there
alright but grudgingly. The other downside of being a heavier rider with
lots of leg muscle is the frequent pretzeling of spokes and freehubs.
For me that usually happens on steep hills. Having bought and loaded
some supplies in the valley doesn't help. On the MTB I managed to crunch
a freehub within the warranty period and the bike shop owner said that
was a first.

Not within strava no you’ll need to search using Google/search engine of
choice, for example Pikes peak Strava Segments will give you those, such as
https://www.strava.com/local/us/colorado-springs/cycling/routes/1521
people don’t always use sensible names, MTBers in particular often use
silly names.

Or just sign up, and can search your area, costs nothing etc.

Roger Merriman

With RideWithGPS you can plot the course and it will show you the elevation
profile.

https://ridewithgps.com

--
duane