Old July 29th 05, 04:50 PM
Sheldon Brown

Default Filing a brake caliper that's just too short?

Paul Hobson wrote:

I just bought a front brake caliper that's *just* too short for the
Peugeot frame that it'll be one. Seriously, I only need another 1 mm of
reach...maybe 2 mm tops.

Does anyone see an danger to me filing a flat spot in the bolt like this:

http://sheldonbrown.com/images/sovos_flat_axle.gif ???
only it'd be on the brake pad's bolt...not my axle...you get the picture.

I don't think that would be a good idea, because you would presumably
also be filing active threading that should be used to secure the shoe
to the caliper.

In the example shown, the threads removed are threads that serve no
actual purpose.

I've also thought about filing the caliper itself down just a hair since
there is a significant amount of material below the lowest point at
which the pads can sit. Does anyone see dangers to doing this? Keep in
mind I need only a little --||--- more room and the brakes are
/perfect/.

I've done this on occasion on my own bikes, never had a problem with it.

I'd be reluctant to do it on a customers' bike though.

Sheldon "Different Standards" Brown
| Well, the truth is usually just |
| an excuse for a lack of imagination... |
| --Garak, DS-9 |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide