Old October 1st 08, 07:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling
_[_2_]

Default Wrapping cotton twill bar tape.

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 11:14:50 -0700 (PDT), Jay Beattie wrote:

On Oct 1, 10:01*am, Roger Thorpe
wrote:
_ wrote:
It depends on the tape - but there is a neat, simple, cheap solution.

Put short sections of inner tube on the bars next the stem. *When wrapping,
you start at the end and wrap towards the stem. *At the stem, fold the tube
back towrds the stem, finish wrapping, and unfold the tube over the ends of
the wrap.

Well, I've spent a few years working in a bike shop, wrapped a few
handlebars and now work where my job is(supposed to be) to have good
ideas, but I've got to say..
"I wish that I'd thought of that."

Keep in mind that putting short sections of inner tube on the bars
near the stem means that you have to remove the brake levers and
untape the cables -- unless you have split-center bars (usually
considered a factory defect). I think a couple inches of black
electrical tape is more simple. -- Jay Beattie.

Yes it is - but the tube is neater, lasts better and is not sticky - and if
you are taking the tape off anyway it's five minute to pop the levers off
as well.