Old October 2nd 08, 04:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

Default Wrapping cotton twill bar tape.

In article ,
wrote:

Michael Press wrote:

I don't know what the problem is you are trying to solve. ?I just
outlined the reasons for taping in one direction over taping the
other way.

If you read my first post for content, you would know that I am
not addressing a problem, nor have I identified a problem. Go back
to where I asked people if they have seen cotton twill bar tape
curl at the edge when wrapped stem to end.

Long ago, early 1980s, when I used cotton tape I wrapped it from
stem to bar end so I could tuck the ends of the cotton tape into
the ends of the bar and secure with the bar end plug and avoid the
use of electrical tape near the stem. The tape always curled up
along the edges as the hands pushed downward. I find it hard to
believe your tape does not curl up along the edges if you wrap it
from stem to bar end. About the only way on earth it would not
curl along its edges is if you never rode the bike or only rode it
with your hands on the tops by the stem.

Look at the pictures. Wrapped stem to end, heavy use, no curling.
The tape near the stem is heavily sun bleached, but the bike is kept
indoors. I ride this bike sans gloves, so you can see that the bends
have gotten some use.

http://gallery.me.com/spress#100093

I looked at the picture and noted that at the place where the metal
bar is exposed the tape has torn and is glossy smooth as though it
were coated with something. As is visible, the tape sticks to itself
better than to the bar, and therefore, creeps don the bar, tearing
itself where it is stuck to the next wrap. I think this would be less
this way wrapped the opposite way.

I agree.

In addition, I believe wrapping in direction of hand twist on the bar
would also help. The reason for this should be apparent. Wrap in
the rotation of the way the user's thumb points when grasping the bar.

I will do that.

My cloth bar tape is dry and rough from riding alternately in hot
sweaty mode and in rain. I have not seen bar tape on any of the
bicycles of people with whom I ride with such a finish on cloth tape.
Even my Cinelli cork tape is matte and etched white from sweat and
water. Your tape, in contrast looks untouched by human hands.

Most of it is. Near the stem it is almost untouched.

So if you don't stress the tape, it should not curl. If you ride it
long enough, it will rot or oxidize and cause the failure you show.
Back to the future. What is it you are trying to determine?

As I said. Asking people if they see cotton twill bar tape
curl at the edge when wrapped stem to end. I had heard about
it, but not seen it.

Apparently you don't want to analyze the mode of failure by wrap
method. So where are we going.

Yes. That should be obvious, since that is not what I set
out to do. Nevertheless, thanks for analyzing it. Useful.

--
Michael Press