Old May 15th 15, 02:36 AM posted to aus.legal,aus.bicycle
Pelican

Default Talkback one eyed lunatics.

"F Murtz" wrote in message
eb.com...
F Murtz wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Jeßus wrote:
On Thu, 14 May 2015 18:33:45 +1000, F Murtz
wrote:

Jeßus wrote:
On Thu, 14 May 2015 17:17:33 +1000, "Pelican"
wrote:

"Jeßus" wrote in message
On Thu, 14 May 2015 15:28:49 +1000, F Murtz
wrote:

I do not know If any one has heard 2UE afternoon talkback, think
his
name is Justin smith,on the subject of bicycle rider
registration, he
seems manic on the subject and howls down anyone who has an
opposite
view to his, he seems to have the opinion that it is a foregone
conclusion that we will have rider registration by the end of the
year.
He seems to have Duncan Gay (roads minister)on his side.
He also has the opinion that bicycle ordinations should not be
allowed
representation at the soon to be,round table group on the subject
with
Duncan Gay because "they are going to say no to everything".
His idea is registration of rider not bicycle with mandated fluoro
jackets with number on the back.

We would then be the only place in the world with it.
It would almost mean the death knell for cycle riding.

You might find a lot of people celebrating if that comes to pass.
I know I certainly would be. I recently fitted cameras to all my
vehicles, specifically because of lycra wearig cyclists who think
theyre entitled to do whatever they please on country roads.

The next rider who makes me choose between hitting him/her, or
another
innocent vehicle, or the roadside verge, is going to have a very
bad
day.

Even if every rider was a suicidal ****wit, you should not be in a
situation
of making such a choice.

I shouldn't be, as you say. The last incident that compelled me to
install cameras was extremely dangerous and almost caused a head on
collision with an oncoming car. Not only was the rider unapologetic,
he fully denied being dead centre of my lane (even though he was,
hence the cameras now)... this was on a tight bend, on a country road
with barriers/rails on the LHS and a cutting to the right (oncoming
car anyway so that wasn't an option either). That rider is very lucky
to still be here.

After 10 years living in the Sunshine Coast hinterland and now N.E
Tas
- both places very popular with riders - I've lost pretty much all
tolerance for them. Too many incidents and far too consistently for
my
liking.

You have me puzzled, why would a rider being dead centre of a lane
cause
a problem? was he coming toward you on the wrong side of the road?

He was in my lane, going in my direction. The problem was he was in
the middle of my lane and I couldn't veer into the oncoming lane
because of an oncoming vehicle. I was *going* to veer into the other
lane but thankfully I didn't (blind corner).
I dunno, you've lost me a bit here if you can't see the problem?

The problem is, regardless of the inconvenience of it a cyclist has
every right to cycle in the middle of the lane and unless the law is
changed it is one of the things up with which we must put, like wombats,
tractors,and any other slow moving things,that is why emphasis is put on
the dangers of blind curves.

OOPS,Apparently some jurisdictions state that you must keep to the left
when practicable on a bicycle.

OOPS again (note to self should research before hitting button)Seems to
refer to bicycle lanes
I can not find any law in Tasmania and most states that stops a bicycle
riding in the centre of a lane except when it refers to bicycle lanes

The Australian Road Rules give the basic rule in rule 129 -

129 Keeping to the far left side of a road

(1) A driver on a road (except a multi-lane road) must drive as
near as practicable to the far left side of the road.
Offence provision.

(2) This rule does not apply to the rider of a motor bike.

Rule 129 applies to cyclists.