Old October 24th 17, 06:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Why do some forks and frames have brake rotor size limits?

On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 16:19:42 +0700, John B.
wrote:

On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 10:09:20 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:
Impressive. I'll assume it's a carbon-carbon rotor, since all F1 cars
seem to using them.

Undoubtedly so. But if the advantage of "carbon" bikes can be extolled
that a carbon-carbon frame must have twice the bragging rights :-)

I don't think it would be a good idea to brag about having a bicycle
made from the same stuff that caused the Challenger space shuttle
disaster. The leading edges of the wings were made of carbon-carbon.
When the wings were hit by ice during takeoff, it punched some rather
large holes in the carbon-carbon.

Given the coefficient of friction between a 1.25" wide rubber tire
(32mm) and a wet road probably dragging the feet will work. :-)

Good point. Perhaps an anchor and rope thrown overboard might be more
suitable for stopping the bicycle on a wet road?

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D