Old November 12th 17, 01:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Screws for disc brake caliper mounting?

On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 07:09:11 -0800, Joerg

On 2017-11-10 17:36, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 09:32:27 -0800, Joerg

On 2017-11-09 17:33, John B. wrote:

[...]

Common stainless screws are generally not as strong as common steel so
perhaps steel might be a better choice for brake attachment. I think
I'd just use the steel bolts with a bit of anti-seize which would
insulate them from the aluminum and prevent galvanic corrosion (which
I think that you are worrying about).

I use LiquiMoly mounting paste. It doesn't help locking but prevents
seizing and allows quick adjustments or, as has happened, disconnecting
them after a brake failure (had to pussyfoot it home).

Actually anything that tends to insulate the screw from the base metal
will limit or prevent galvanic corrosion - I even used the silicon
goop that is used to stop leaks around window frames and two years
later found no corrosion :-)

I found that the screws through the 7" extender that was factory mounted
were threaded all the way. So I cut those to length and mounted it all.
The bigger rotors feel great, especially on the rear where I went two
sizes up.

Most of the commonly sold smaller sized fasteners are "all thread" as
I suppose that makes them almost universally "all fit" :-) I believe
that some sizes, perhaps 6mm or larger, are also available with an
unthreaded shank.
--
Cheers,

John B.