Old November 14th 17, 06:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Does anyone know PM-PM-F/R203 adapters

On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 02:30:03 +0000 (UTC), Ralph Barone
wrote:

jbeattie wrote:
On 2017-11-12 18:13, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 07:38:50 -0800, Joerg

On 2017-11-11 18:13, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 10:39:42 -0800, Joerg

On 2017-11-11 07:51, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

... Avid uses a
higher torque spec. 5nm should be plenty to keep your stem and
headset tight, but probably not in Cameron Park.

It does but only if I smear some grit-laden toothpaste on the fork tube
before sliding on the stem. Not the paste for electric brushing but the
regular paste. What I am saying is that 5nm feels like it's about to
strip the aluminum threads out.

I think I'd buy a torque meter. And use it :-)

Trying to be a minimalist I have a makeshift one that was ridiculed here
but when compared to pro gear is more accurate than anything from a
hardware sto A digital suitcase scale. I can torque a screw to
precisely 44 in-lbs. Not 42 or 46 but exactly 44. Try that with one of
those ratchet gizmos.

Yup, you can use a scale and a carefully measured length wrench but it
is hardly necessary as torque limits always seem to be quite liberal.
Shimano specifies 2 - 4 Nm (18 - 36 "lbs) for brake disc attaching
bolts. No need to get right down to the nth degree.

I know. Just mentioned it because there are people here who seriously
think the suitcase scale method is inaccurate.

No, it's just dopey -- it's like using a nail and a hammer to remove a
chain rivet . . . oh wait. Never mind.

-- Jay Beattie.

eh what do we know? Never broke a front axle. Ever. You?

Yes, but only because it melted while going 140mph down a volcano in 125
degree heat here in Portland. My tire also caught fire. The guy in front
of me lost his brake and couldn't stop. It was lucky he had his
drag-chute. http://www.gagnesports.com/wp-conten...chute-bike.jpg
Otherwise, he would have crashed.

I ALWAYS ride with a drag-chute! It's hooked up to a release mechanism in
my rear pannier -- in the pocket next to the heart-lung machine. I never
take chances, and that's why I won't ride on the road . . . ever. It's too dangerous.

-- Jay Beattie.

I call bull****. It never gets up to 125 in Portland.

Ah but you are forgetting "Aerodynamic heating", the heating of a
solid body produced by its high-speed passage through air whereby its
kinetic energy is converted to heat by skin friction on the surface of
the object at a rate that depends on the viscosity and speed of the
air.

Those left coast riders are really fast :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.