Old February 22nd 18, 04:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Default Ouch. This happened to me once

jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 3:03:19 AM UTC-8, sms wrote:
On 2/19/2018 8:42 AM, Joerg wrote:

snip

Oh, and bright lights do help in such situations. When a car driver sees
some really bright light in the rear view and outside mirror that does
get their attention. Experienced it myself many times, when they slammed
on the brake pedal.

True. Anyone that has good DRLs has experienced the difference. But it's
not 100% of the time.

I've never liked the narrative of "let's pass more laws to make
everything safe for everyone," but education seems to be working on most
people, since most commuters on bicycles, other than students, now are
using DRLs. But last Sunday we were out on a trail and I did not
understand why mountain bikers were using DRLs off-road, since there
were not very many of them around.

Will we ever educate everyone? No. But we did get Frank to buy a good
battery powered light with DRL functionality, the Oculus, so there is
hope for the future of our country.

These poor, poor, uneducated riders. No DRLs. They will soon die.
https://d3qvqlc701gzhm.cloudfront.ne...16c80c729f.jpg
These guys, too.
https://bikeportland.org/2011/06/22/...r-photos-55300
All dead.

-- Jay Beattie.

Were there bikes in those pictures? I didn't see any.