Old May 16th 18, 06:32 AM posted to misc.news.internet.discuss,rec.bicycles.misc
Marko Rauhamaa

Default [M] dockless bikes compete for marketshare

Anssi Saari :

In Finland there's now a semi-docked (meaning you can leave a bike
near the dock even if it's full) bike system in the capital Helsinki
and adjacent Espoo. Heavily subsidized by the towns of course but
apparently fairly popular.

I bicycle a lot and see those public bikes all the time. It still
baffles me what the use case is unless you just happen to belong to the
privileged minority that lives or works right next to a dock. Are we
giving a handsome tax subsidy to a handful of lucky winners?

Lots of trucking the bikes around too.

Never seen them being trucked around, but that must be the case. I
wonder what the total cost of the system is.

Well, maybe it's just a drop in the public transport ocean.

it takes a fairly hardcore biker to ride in ice and snow.

Rain is the worst.

Personally, if I went about three clicks from home to a train stop in
Espoo, I could take a local train to near my office in Helsinki and
use one of those bikes or walk the kilometer or so to the office.
Unfortunately it's a slow train so this takes two to three times more
than going by car and doesn't give much exercise benefits either.

Getting there by car is ok, but where would you park? There's no free
parking in my current employment, and the city won't even allow you to
park for a whole working day but makes to pay for the spot in 4-hour
segments (at €2/hr).

Marko