Old December 16th 15, 01:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default O/T: knots

On Tue, 15 Dec 2015 13:20:02 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I've never had much use for the bowline, but it comes free with the
sheet bend.

?

A bowline is a rope tied to its own standing part with a sheet bend.

Likewise, the prussik comes almost free with the cow hitch -- a
prussik is turned two or more times around the rope, a cow hitch only
once.

And the taut-line hitch comes free with the prussik -- you pass twine
around a chair leg or whatever anchor is convenient, tie it to itself
with a prussik, and you can lengthen or shorten the tether on your
sewing bird to keep a comfortable tension on your fabric.
http://wlweather.net/pagesew/SEWBIRD.HTM (in the picture, the bird is
anchored with two half hitches and tension is adjusted by moving the
chair.)

As taught to me, the taut-line hitch was intended to fasten a rope to
a tent peg. That situation doesn't come up very often.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net