cost more than the tail light. So, I run the alkalines until they
die, and carry a few spare NiMH cells which I rotate as needed. With
LSD (low self discharge) NiMH cells, they remain mostly charged for
months.

While just jumping onto the bicycle and going for a ride is a nice
thought, the reality is that we all do some manner of pre-flight check
before riding. So, why is it so painful to add a headlight battery
test to the checklist?

I ride with three tail lights. All powered by AAA batteries. One light clips on the back of my helmet on a zip tie. Its always there because I always wear a helmet. The other two lights are clipped onto my seatbag. I always put the seatbag on the bike I am riding. So I never ever check whether my taillights are working. I always have plenty. Sometimes I stop to turn on my taillights and notice one does not work. Batteries are dead. OK fine. I just turn on the other two and ride home safely. Put new batteries in the bad light when home.

As for pre ride checklists for riding a bike. I check tire pressure with a squeeze or pump up my tires before each ride. That is the total extent of my checking. If something does not work while riding, I fix it on the side of the road (gears not shifting right and need a adjuster turn) or fix it immediately when I get home (chain worn out and skips on cogs). There is never ever a reason to do a pre check on any of my bikes. They are always 100% functional, ready to ride.
Ads

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home