Old July 1st 03, 03:12 PM
KLydesdale

Default Who makes a strong seat post?

"Anthony Sloan" wrote in message

Chris Phillipo wrote:

In article ,
says...

Hi All,

While trying to do a drop yesterday, to impress some girls (succeeding

in
neither), I landed my 87 kilos on my poor KORE seatpost in a very

inelegant
and brutal fashion, so now I have a nice angled seatpost... (about 5 to

10
degrees I'd reckon, still rideable...)

A breaking seatpost is probably one of the last things I want happening

in
the field (have no offspring yet, so better protect 'em jewels...), so

I'm
looking for a new one.

My question is this; what seat posts are strong? I don't so much mind

the
weight, as a few grams won't make a difference once I have myself and 5

kgs
of stuff on it (The wonderful thing about being the one who bought a
CamelBak, you get to haul everybodys stuff... .

My frame takes 27.2 mm seatposts. I know that's not going to change, but

are
larger diameter posts more sturdy?

Thanks in advance?

Bo

PS: And to add insult to injury, I made a face plant today. On asphalt.

On
the way home from the store. So now I have a bfat lib. Morale: stick to

the
trails.

If you get a Titec knock rated seatpost at least they will replace it
for you if you do that again.

But then you face this issue: Titec, manufactor of other quite nice MTB
bits, is ever stymied by the elusive seatpost. They just cannot get it
right.
Over the weekend we bought my wife a Giant NRS1, that came fitted with a
Titec x-wing seatpost. The past models all had a pathetically
underdesigned clamp that broke. Often.

Now they've addressed the clamp, but in doing so have introduced the
need to have a 5mm allen key AND a 15mm open end wrench just to adjust
the stupid thing.

Get a Thomson.

Some of the previous models of Titec posts have had cheesy clamp mechanisms
but their current line doesn't seem too bad. Their XC posts now use a
single bolt clamp while the heavier duty ones employ a pretty beefy two-bolt
one. I used a Titec Knock seatpost when I was building up a frame for a
friend and it's dual-bolt clamp mechanism is very secure and easy to adjust.
My friend is fairly heavy (24 lbs) and has bent other seatposts quickly but
this one seems to be holding up well.