Old July 1st 03, 05:45 PM
Mark Hickey

Default Who makes a strong seat post?

Bo Lind wrote:

While trying to do a drop yesterday, to impress some girls (succeeding in
neither), I landed my 87 kilos on my poor KORE seatpost in a very inelegant
and brutal fashion, so now I have a nice angled seatpost... (about 5 to 10
degrees I'd reckon, still rideable...)

That post is NOT reideable. If it's been bent enough to be obvious,
it's in serious danger of a total failure - and that is something you
do NOT want to happen. Do yourself a big favor and replace it before
you ride again - even an "easy ride".

My question is this; what seat posts are strong? I don't so much mind the
weight, as a few grams won't make a difference once I have myself and 5 kgs
of stuff on it (The wonderful thing about being the one who bought a
CamelBak, you get to haul everybodys stuff... .

The Thomson is indeed got a good record for reliability, though I
suspect much of that is because it's a no-offset post (reducing the
stress significantly). The American Classic posts also have a good
rap for being cheap and reliable and even pretty light.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame