Old July 30th 17, 01:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default New bike for Jay

On 2017-07-28 15:57, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 2:10:10 PM UTC-7, David Scheidt wrote:
Joy Beeson wrote: :On Thu, 27 Jul
2017 09:39:03 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie wrote:

: Just two water bottles that I filled every 50 miles.

:When I could ride that far, a bottle would last about ten miles.

Jay's a camel.

Not like Jobst. I fill up big bottles. I just don't take more than
two -- except on rare occasion. When selecting a bike, I don't go
into the store and ask for an '80s Euro-sport bike with a rack so I
can haul gallons of water on a day ride.

Joerg has peculiar needs. I'm fine with a couple of bottle bosses
and 160mm brake rotors on a gravel bike. If I were riding trails in
the middle of nowhere, I might consider a camel back or some other
option, but I'm not. I'm never that far from water on a day ride.

http://www.performancebike.com/webap...HydrationGuide

Quote: "Carry and consume one 16-24oz bottle of plain water, plus one
extra 16-24oz bottle of an energy drink for each hour on the bike".

Most of my rides are 4-5h and I am a tall guy who is more at the upper
end of the water requirement scale. So there.

Yes, this also applies to Oregonians since they have a store in Portland :-)

There used to be three Performance stores in Portand, but they closed the one downtown -- the only one close to my work or home.

So, reading that prescription, do I have to carry eight bottles for a four hour ride? Wow, I better start buying cages and hose clamps. Or I could just stop every hour and fill up my bottles -- assuming I needed all that fluid. Hmmmmmm.

I did a 30 mile loop this afternoon -- nothing terrible because I'm expecting to get throttled by some friends tomorrow. Temperature was low-mid 80s -- blue skies, low wind. A gorgeous day. I went through one 21oz bottle, and there is still some water sloshing around in the bottle. A lot of the riding was under trees, so I wasn't taking a lot of direct sun. If I were in the bright sun, I'd drink more. And I'd have a better tan.

-- Jay Beattie.