Old February 20th 18, 09:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

Default rubber compounds

"Emanuel Berg" wrote in message
I've heard there are different rubber compounds
in tires which makes them harder or softer.

What property is that, and how can it
be measured?

I take it in Northen Europe and Scandinavia,
one would like hard tires rather than soft?

Hard tyres last a long time but don't grip well - soft tyres have grip but
wear rapidly.

OE Bridgestone motorcycle tyres frequently outlived the machine - and
sometimes the rider.

Pirelli motorcycle tyres have plenty of grip and give "feel" to warn you of
approaching the limit - I couldn't keep up with the cost of keep replacing
them.

Last Michelins I used; stick like **** to a blanket right up to the limit -
then just let go - there was plenty of tread left when I got fed up with
that, so I sort of eeer..."donated" them to someone I didn't like much.