Old August 31st 18, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Who is a real cyclist ?

On 8/30/2018 11:27 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2018 03:35:27 -0700 (PDT), OK
wrote:

Probably a homeless guy with depend on two-wheels is the real cyclist
in my view. Not guys with riding $5k bike on the bike lane who just
use bike for exercise or fun and these guys never use bike for main
transporter. And next real cyclist would be Dutch and Denmark cyclist
using for a main transporter.

If you're riding a bicycle, you're a real cyclist. Why be judgey about
it?

People are amazingly tribal. I actually do wave at the super-low-income
guys riding past me on bikes - not that I see that many. But most of
them don't respond, just as many of the guys in "Look, I'm a racer!"
garb scowling along at 20+ mph don't respond to waves.

I think we are much more likely to accept and acknowledge those we
perceive as being like ourselves - although that's relative, and depends
on context. I remember being at an outdoor restaurant in Venice and
meeting a black American couple who appeared to be several economic
levels above us. As fellow Americans in a foreign land, we chatted like
old friends for nearly an hour. But I bet if we met them in downtown
Chicago, they wouldn't have bothered talking to "those bike riders."

--
- Frank Krygowski