Old May 24th 07, 05:09 AM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
Amy Blankenship

Default What American Cities are Missing: Bikes by the Thousands

"Joe the Aroma" wrote in message
. ..

"Pat" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 21, 7:09 pm, "Amy Blankenship"
wrote:
"Pat" wrote in message

ups.com...

On May 21, 11:46 am, "Amy Blankenship"
wrote:
"donquijote1954" wrote in message

roups.com...

On May 20, 8:42 pm, "george conklin" wrote:
wrote in message

st.net...

In article
.net,
says...

Yes, just as the third world is getting rid of such
exploitation
of
workers, NYC is starting up with its hazy visions of great the
past
used
be.

Having ridden pedicabs in New Delhi and in Vancouver, B.C.,
among
other
cities, I wouldn't compare the two labor environments.

If a country doesn't have effective enforcement of worker's
rights,
and
even still has pockets of indentured servitude and slavery, it
could
be
that banning a particular occupation might be the only way to
eliminate
a particular form of exploitation.

I'd have no qualms about "exploiting" a U.S. or Canadian pedicab
operator.

In the third world they view the entire industry as exploiting.
We
should
be ashamed of ourselves bringing the pedicab back. It shows how
morally
bankrupt the New Urbanism is.-

Are you also concerned about the "Made in China" label? I guess we
got
to drop the dollar store then. By the way, some union
representative
was in Asia recently trying to organize labor in China. Free unions
in
a communist country? I believe it when I see it.

He said something that makes sense: "If capitals are globalized,
why
not labor?"

He loves Wal-Mart's low prices. Of _course_ no one is ever exploited
so
we
can have those low prices ;-).

But if I can get a $3.00 product for $2.00; then I have $1.00 to
invest or save or buy something else.

Are you then going to use it to sponsor a Chinese child with World
Vision?
;-)

I have no problem with exported labor. Better to have them working
than wanting to fight us. But I also have no problem with leveling
the playing field. If the US, for example, said that all labor on
goods imported into the US had to pay the equivelent of US minimum
wage, I would have a problem with that. It wouldn't bring too many
jobs back here because few people will work for minimum wage, but it
would level the playing field quite a bit. But until that happens,
the world is what the world is.

Welp, you better hope they don't want to fight us after we've exported all
our technology and wealth to them.

Not to mention pollution...