Old August 7th 06, 10:48 PM posted to aus.bicycle
dave

Default London drops bike rego idea

EuanB wrote:
As reported in uk.rec.cycling:

"POHB" Wrote:

Received this from TFL

Registration Plates for Cyclists

Thank you for your email of 28 July 2006 regarding the Mayors comments
on cycle registration. I have been asked to reply on his behalf.

We have seen initial assessments from Transport for London that show
that a bike registration scheme would face a number of practical
problems, and could discourage cycling, whereas the aim is to carry on
increasing the numbers of cyclists.

Given that such a scheme would have to be at least partly
self-financing the cost of registering cycles would also have to be
passed onto cyclists, again discouraging cycling. A registration scheme
could therefore only ever be seen as a difficult last resort.
Therefore, this will not be happening in the near future.
http://www.cyclingforums.com/t357988.html

A nice statement of the blindingly obvious. I wonder who got to
run that study

Dave