Old March 28th 08, 03:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default REI Safari or Surly Long haul Trucker?

Woland99 wrote:

On Mar 27, 10:30 am, wrote:
I want to do some touring this summer.

Any help on deciding between the tow bikes above?

I was facing similar choice - wanted a touring bike and
at the end had to decide betw Surly LHT and Novarra Randonee.
For me Novarra Safari was out of a question - I wanted something
that would look like road bike. PLus I had Novarra Viaggio - I guess
you can call it earlier version of Safari and I was VERY unhappy
with that B-shaped handlebar.
I eventually went with Randonee for two reasons - all things being
about the same on both bikes Randonee had much better wheel and I
wanted durable bike. Plus I know everybody in the bike shop at local
REI and those guys are fantastic when it comes to service and repairs.

OK

My thoughts abt the Safari are that I may need to ride
down some pretty big gravel roads occasionally on a
tour.... as well as good paved roads. I worry abt the
wheels and tires on the LHT or Novara randoneee