Old May 28th 14, 07:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

Default Another idiot mountain biker!

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...

No, Ed, I'm referencing a report which contains accounts of

rescues of both bikers and hikers. A hiker is unlikely to fall off a bike
... statement of the bloody obvious ... but both are subject to terrain, weather
and location based perils which result in accidents.

Edward Dolan wrote:

A hiker has an accident - no big deal. A biker has an accident
- damn near fatal. The risks are not the same. That is what is bloody
obvious!

So, a hiker fatality is "no big deal" ? I think you will find a few in the report I posted.

I never said the risks were the same but what I did do was quantify them and mountainbiking is a lot safer than you would like it portrayed and hiking considerably more dangerous.

You need to compare the number of hiker fatalities with the number of mountain biker fatalities. The causes of what led to the deaths would be of interest too.

Yet the Lake District report contains accounts of hiking

fatalities ... that's not what I'd call trivial ... would you ?

Your statement is, again, refuted by the facts.

Hiker fatalities are extremely rare. Biker fatalities are
quite common.

Read the report Ed ... fatalities of either are rare.

Fatalities are of course rare for both, but not as rare for mountain bikers. However, accidents not resulting in fatalities are not rare. And mountain biker accidents tend to be far more serious than hiker accidents.

Hiker fatalities are usually interesting to read about because of
their unique qualities.

Again, I suggest you read first. They are pretty predictable .. broken bones, exposure, exhaustion and terrain issues (falling off it usually). That's hardly rare or exceptional.

I once read a book about hiker accidents in the National Parks and elsewhere in the American West. It made for interesting reading because of what led up to the accidents. It was hiker error every time. The only error mountain bikers make is trying to ride their bikes on a hiking trail to begin with. Dumb, dumb dumb!

Mountain bikers are barbarians and have no right to be on any trail used by hikers – unless they want to get off their god damn ****ing bikes and walk like everyone else. When they crash and injure themselves, I rejoice! If and when they manage to kill themselves, I say good riddance to bad rubbish! Death to mountain biking!

“Tread softly! All the earth is holy ground.”
~ Christina Rossetti (Psalm 24),
from "A Later Life: A Double Sonnet of Sonnets"

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great