Old September 25th 17, 05:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bob prohaska

Default Does anybody make 37-630 tires?

Sepp Ruf wrote:
bob prohaska wrote:
I just ordered some Kenda tires for my old Cannondale in
size 27 x 1 3/8 inch. The goal was to obtain a somewhat
softer ride on the very rough pavement in my area.

When the tires showed up they were marked as expected,
but are only about 27 mm wide, or slightly _under_ an
inch and an eighth.

Does anybody still make road-style 27 inches tires in
wider sizes? The best I have found is 27 by one and a
quarter, and that's nominal; I haven't measured them.

With which rim width did the Kendas turn out 27mm?

21.5 mm inside, about 23.5 outside. The rims to be used in
service are about 22.5 outside, but on those rims a Continental
1 1/8" tire is wider than the Kenda 1 3/8" tire, so the Kenda is
notably underwidth.

If the pavement is just rough, but not glass-littered, I'd take 1 1/4 Paselas.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/630.html

Some other Panaracers are "1 1/8," but 3kPa pressured seems more
curbless-city style than road-style.

Those would work, but don't seem obviously better than the
1 1/4" tires I can get locally.

https://www60.atwiki.jp/longmemo2/pages/62.html

[The page cited comes up in Japanese, I can't make heads or tails of it]

The local shop that ordered the Kenda tires has agreed to exchange
them for Continental "Ride Tour" tires in 1 1/4" width. While nominally
narrower, I think they're apt to be much like the 1 1/4" UlraSports I've
been using, which is tolerable.

It would be helpful to know which manufacturer's width descriptions
are to be believed. Clearly not Kenda's.

Thanks for posting!

bob prohaska