Old June 5th 18, 04:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Default MTB randonneur

Emanuel Berg wrote:
:Jeff Liebermann wrote:

: A 26x1.5 tire and a 26x1-1/2 tire are
: different tire sizing systems:
: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
: See charts of fractional and decimal sizes.

:It says this [1], but doesn't explain how the
:systems work what I can see. If you compare one

What "System"? They're tire sizes. They were invented by some
manufacturer, who thought there was a market, at different times and
different places. 26x 1 3/4 is the same
as 650C, which was commonly used on triathalon bikes. 26 x 1.75 is a
US size that was used for beach cruisers with wide tires; those bikes
became the first mountain bikes, whcih is why 26" ruled the mountain
bike world until someone thought we needed 29ers and 27.5 ers.

:2x1.5 and a 26x1-1/2, why are they not
:interchangeable, and what tire is wider?

2xdecimal are 571 mm diameter, 25X1 1/2 is 559. Unless I have that
backwards, which I probably do. Then it's the other way around.
Either way, it's clear why tires are not interchangable. Bike tire
widths are all a fantasy, so who knows which is wider.

--
sig 72