Old June 6th 18, 09:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]

Default Chain waxing

On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 08:21:52 -0700 (PDT),
jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 8:12:20 AM UTC-7, Theodore Heise wrote:
On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 07:44:01 -0700 (PDT),
Andre Jute wrote:
On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 10:05:28 AM UTC+1, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:

For those interested in this, after my last inquiry about
chain lubing, I decided to wax my chain by immersing it in
a hot mixture of solid and liquid paraffin (with a ratio
of 50% of paraffin oil).

After about 600 km, including some significant rain,, must
say it works pretty well. My chain still runs smoothly,
and is almost perfectly clean. When needed, I can simply
wipe it with some paper towel. I do not know yet when I
will have to wax it again, but it seems to hold pretty
well.

Seems to me chain cleaning and waxing is another
sadomasochistic practice that cyclists without the
imagination to do something more productive have brought on
themselves. Socially, it's a leftover from when cycling was
a workingman's sport, which has no place in an age when
cycling is in the main middle-class virtue-signalling, and
almost any bike the equivalent in quality of a between-wars
Raleigh tourer costs an obscene amount of money.

Of course, if chain cleaning and waxing defines who you
are, like going to church on Sundays, don't pay any
attention to me; I wouldn't dream of criticizing your
religion.

Well, for me it's as simple as wishing to throw the bike in
the back of the car (or pack it for travel) without having to
worry about a greasy chain. No religion, other than the
spiritual boost I get from actually riding the darn thing.

A little, a very little thought will tell any cyclist that
he can run the chain for its entire life on the factory
lube, and in the process win a permanently clean bike.

All it takes is a hub gearbox (or a single speed of any
flavor you fancy), a Hebie Chainglider or lesser chain
enclosure, and a chain from a manufacturer who uses quality
lube (KMC is good and cheap besides). Then you never again
need to clean a chain or clusters or chainrings or anything
else to which the chain has spread its filth.

I assume this is all meant facetiously.

No more than using an electric cooker to melt wax for a chain.
Skip the whole thing and go with an IGH and chain guard. I
personally run my chain through a sealed oil bath -- after
carefully cleaning each link.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainclean.html

OMG, I'm severally chastised. How will I survive?

Seriously, it's a very simple process, and less work than cleaning
and relubing a chain. I'm not advocating it as suitable for
anyone else, just desribing how it works for me. If that warrants
chastising, I have to wonder who are the real religious zealots.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA