Old July 29th 18, 11:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

Default Saddle sore solutions?

On 28/07/18 21:48, Joerg wrote:
On Friday I talked to a woman who rides very little because the saddle
causes her pain after a short time. Most likely this is a combination of
factors, the hardness of usual road bike saddles plus the fact that road
bikes have no suspension whatsoever and hard tires.

MTB saddles are often a little cushier. Then there are thud-buster type
systems but that's more for hard MTB riding which she doesn't do. Maybe
there are similar systems for road bikes?

Are there recommendations what could be done without breaking the bank
and without switching to a slow beach cruiser?

Contact points are a very personal thing and bear no relation to
cost[1], I would first make sure it is at the correct angle/height etc.
Then borrow some old saddles of someone. Everyone has a collection, and
see if any of them are more comfortable, and work from there.

Bottom line, if a 10 dollar saddle is comfy, be very happy, if a 300
dollar saddle is comfy, spunk the 300, because nothing else will be
comfy :-(

[1] I use M324s on all my bikes, Brooks B17s and one Colt, Ergo GP1s for
flat handlebars (good quality cork on the drops). Will never change
from this, because, the only way is down.