Old September 4th 17, 03:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Mr.Tuffy liner for road bikes ok? Or 2nd tube?

On 2017-09-02 18:01, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 02 Sep 2017 07:45:08 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-08-31 18:30, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 11:55:10 -0700, Joerg

wrote:

Yesterday I had another two (!) sidewall punctures.
Long story short I
will definitely not recommend CST Conquistare tires.
Wore out in less
than 1200mi and then weakened which is just
unacceptable. So thumbs down
from me.

This brings up two questions:

1. The Mr.Tuffy orange liners for 700c narrow tires.
They must be laid
in with a wee overlap. Will that overlap cause a 700c
25mm tire at
110psi to run bumpy? Like whop .. whop .. whop every
time the overlap
comes around?

2. What about taking a second (otherwise discarded)
thorn-resistant
tube, slit it open on the inside and slide it over the
real
thorn-resistant as a 2nd layer?

The problem is that Kenda seems to have discontinued
selling
thorn-resistant tubes with good and most of all same
thickness all
around but now the thickness tapers off towards the
sidewalls. That's
where they fail. Same for Sunlite which I had to
re-order yesterday
because those things are essentially unfixable with
those thin REMA patches.

Any words of wisdom? As usual, weight absolutely does
not matter.

In case anyone knows: I read somewhere that smugglers
"inflate" their
vehicle tires with some sort of hardening sealant
(Silicone?
Construction foam?) that makes the tires bullet-proof.
What material is
it and how do they get it in there thoroughly enough?
Would it be good
for a couple of thousand miles?

I don't know about smugglers but yes you can buy foam to
use in tires.
See
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgv4UiDQa74
http://www.accellatirefill.com/

and I assume other sites.

Thanks. Tyrfil is what Andrew brought up and I'll contact
them next week.

I'd like to have a similar firm tire behavior as if it
was pumped up
with air to 110psi. Riding comfort isn't very important,
durability is.

A google search for "foam filled bicycle tires" gets
372,000 hits.
such as:

https://www.amazon.com/Bell-Solid-No.../dp/B01HY12VOU

http://www.instructables.com/id/No-more-flat-tires/
http://www.livestrong.com/article/22...-tires-review/

I did web searches. None of the result were much good. I was
looking for something that works, preferrably via squirting
through the valve stem into a regular tube. There was a
report of smugglers who had inflated their tires with
something from cans and that made them not go flat when shot
at. Unfortunately the report did not state what was in those
cans.

The main objective of my post was different though, this was
just a side question in case anyone happened to know.

Call your local light construction equipment dealer (Bobcat
Kubota Case Mahindra Deere etc) they do this all day long.

On a road bike one could just use tubulars and carry two or three
spares. You still get flats but it only takes a minute or so to change
them.

And three or four spares can easily be carried strapped to the bottom
of the saddle :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.