Old August 13th 03, 08:30 PM
bikingbill

Default Cheap Bikes vs expensive bikes - what are the real differences?

Peter Clinch wrote in news:3F3A05AE.2090400
@dundee.ac.uk:

bikingbill wrote:

FWIW I'd warn against the sub-£200 bikes. A friend bought one, but th

ere
were too many 'compromises' to make it a good choice. Heavy frame,
clunky gear change, awkward riding position, dreadful saddle. Result

is

it's seldom used. I feel at this price the bikes are built down to

the
price. £300+ is probably a better mark for a beginner. Unless they ca

find a 'last-year's model' £300 bike reduced or get something 2nd han

d.

I'd agree that £300 is better, if you happen to have it, and also I'd
avoid spending less than ~£200. But between the two there's an area
where you can get something better in just about every way than what I
paid £200 for back in '89, when £200 was worth rather more than it is
now. And that bike did me very well for the best part of a decade,

just
putting on better bits as the originals wore out.

Pete.

I suppose my point was really that in my friend's case the sub-£200 bike
was false economy as she hasn't been 'inspired' by it and has rarely
used it. I agree you can get perfectly good bikes in that range - but if
the rider is inexperienced he/she may not be able to identify the good
from the less good. Maybe I'd advise that if the budget is very tight
the inexperienced buyer should take someone along who knows a bit more
about both bikes and their likely use of one.
My LBS had a 2nd hand titanium racer [not my size :-(] for £250 earlier
this year - so there is no doubt there are bargains out there.
Bill

--
Cyclists are always well-balanced.