Old July 27th 17, 05:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default New bike for Jay

On 7/26/2017 9:31 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 8:55:05 AM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:
Can we start speccing out equipment for Jay the way we do for Jorge?

I'll start with this thing. Jay tell us again what frame size you ride?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik...230636448.html

Wow. That's a deal. I ride a 63cm in Cannondale. The OE Ksyrium wheels are a non-starter. I couldn't keep them true. But I'd buy that bike, and I was even in SF yesterday. Oh well.

I need two bikes, but both have been or are in the process of being replaced. I splurged and sort of replaced my commuter with a CF gravel bike for $1,600. at Western Bikeworks. An on-sale Norco Search. I couldn't help myself. It's a bike I've always liked. It's 105 level, which is more than fine -- and godbless Norco for using the whole component group and not some FSA or TruVativ crank or Tektro brakes. This is a fun bike and probably too nice for a commuter, so who knows, I might buy a beater frame and throw together a dead of winter commuter. Cannondale will probably give me something as a replacement for the broken CX frame. I just didn't want to wait to go through that process, and I wanted a gravel bike anyway. Hey, keep the economy strong. Bike sales are down. We have to do our part.

My uber-bike to replace the smashed SuperSix is going to be an Emonda because my son loves his, and I do work for Trek, so they'll give me a deal on a great bike. I like dealing with the fine folks in Wisconsin. I have always gone with the US companies because I'm a krypto-nationalist, even if the production is done elsewhere (or a lot of it). I like long warranties. If someone gave me a Pinarello, however, I would not throw it out -- although I'm not hot on Italiano BBs.

-- Jay Beattie.

I saw someone with a great commuter bicycle a few weeks ago on Caltrain.
A Ritchey Breakaway frame, I think it was all 105, Brooks saddle, and a
Carradice bag. You need steel or titanium for a commute bicycle, with
hydraulic disc brakes.

A lot of people have been buying the titanium frames from 鈦郁工*股份有限公司|
in Taiwan and building up bikes from them, and they are the same
titanium frames that Bikesdirect has been using in their "Motobecane"
models.

63cm is hard though. The largest they have is 61cm.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/disc-brake-roadbikes/centuryelt-ti-discbrake-road.htm.
But they cheaped out, the crankset is not Ultegra. And of course you'd
want a steel fork on that.

Everyone around here is buying custom titanium bikes with Dura Ace
triples from Dean http://www.deanbikes.com/. No one is buying carbon
fiber or aluminum anymore.