Old December 15th 17, 02:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Default Road Tires: Width vs Speed Penalties?

On Thu, 14 Dec 2017 07:14:50 -0800 (PST), jbeattie
wrote:

I found the Paselas were prone to sidewall damage. I also had a
problems mounting Gatorskins on a CR18s because of the shallow rim
well, so choosing a tire that fits that rim is important.

I have had several Paselas fail due to casing separation where the ends
of the carcass overlap (also every Ritchey Tom Slick I ever used had a
casing failure). Most of them have just worn out. I've neved
specifically had sidewall damage with the Paselas. Generally I run
tires at the maximum rated pressure, unlike Jan Heine. I've just too
heavy for lower pressures at 230 lbs. The Compass tires are rated to 75
PSI, though, and I find 50-55 works very well so they are the exception
so far. I think lower pressures increase the risk of sidewall damage.

I'm still amazed at the $90 on price tag. What about all the Schwalbe
tires?

Bike component makers have figured out that we will pay stupid amounts
of money for products that wear out and have to be replaced relatively
often- $200 chains, $150 cassettes, $100 tires, etc. Repeat customers
are where the cash is...

My complaints about tires typically involve tires that are sluggish.

The Compass tires feel less sluggish than the Paselas, althouogh as
noted that is most noticeable at slow speeds and climbing. When rolling
along on flat ground, wind drag overwhelms the signal from the tires
pretty quickly. At the same pressures I would say the two sets of tires
are similar in comfort.

All that being said, I know a couple of people who have switched to
Compass tires and sing their praises loudly and enthusiastically. I am
reasonably satisfied with them but am a bit more muted about it.