Old December 15th 17, 07:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default data on cut disc

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 21:12:11 +0100, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Did someone say chainsaw? I don't think
a chain saw would be suitable for the cutting
bicycle locks, but you're welcome to try.
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/chainsaw/slides/chain-saws-02.html
One can never have enough chain saws.

Wow, nice photo!

Thanks. I had far too many saws (and bicycles). Time to downsize.
The three Homelite Super E-Z saws in the foreground are rather old.
16:1 mix and no chain brake. However, they are somewhat of a
collectors item due to the compression release feature. So, I traded
the local handyman all 3 Homelite saws for some work on my property.

I have also used a Stihl (first row from the
top) that was much smaller, bout half the size,
and battery powered.

The Stihl battery powered saws:
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/battery-saws/
are really nice. I've played with one and like it for limbing and
light work. Not having to mess with gas, oil, starting, and fuel
system maintenance is well worth it. Stihl probably would not have
offered a battery operated saw were it not for the growing number of
chain saw emission regulations. It's unlikely that a 2 cycle engine
will pass various proposed draconian emission regulations. It would
require either a 4 cycle engine, which tends to be underpowered, or an
electric motor. I have no idea which way the industry and customers
will favor.

Husqvarna (second row) should be Swedish by the
way but nowadays probably all international and
then made in the PRC so what does it all
mean anymore.

The two Husqvarna saws are coincidentally an oddity. The 136 and 41
look and are almost identical. The only difference I could find was
the older 136 was made entirely in Germany, while the 41 was partly
made by Poulon and probably has some components that were made in
China:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Husqvarna_Group#Brands

Higher end Stihl products, that are sold in the USA, are mostly made
in the USA:
https://www.b4usa.com/stihl-inc/
However, the MS-180 in the photo was made in China:
http://blog.stihl.com/stihl-worldwide/2013/11/stihl-china-quality-made-stihl/
Incidentally, I replaced the rather narrow width chain and bar on the
MS-180 with a wider and more standard size chain. Cuts much better
now and needs to be sharpened less often:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/192054090789

Also, I'm currently into knife sharpening
(with a bottom of the line Harbor Freight
1x30" belt sander and collection of stones).
I'm collecting the equipment I need to make
my own custom knives, but so far have only
make one mediocre knife (from a kit).

Ha ha, cool!

I now live in a wood house, so I thought I'd
get knives and start practising throwing
against the wall. Problem is there are a bunch
of mildly crazy people here as well and I don't
know how they would react if I picked that up.

I have a similar problem with friends and neighbors. I've found that
offering to sharpen their kitchen knives converts suspicious neighbors
into more tolerant neighbors. I also got a few extra points by
sharpening some Norelco shaver blades. Better neighborhood public
relations through bribery.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D