Old October 24th 19, 05:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Here's a solution. What was the problem?

On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 07:36:24 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

https://cyclingindustry.news/shimano...tem-for-bikes/

"What problem are they trying to solve"? That's the question I ask
myself every time I see something inexplicable. Nobody does anything
without a reason. What is Shimano's reason?

Here's a better view of the patent application:
https://patents.google.com/patent/US20190233049A1/en
Looks like they applied for a patent that includes every known method
of determining a difference in vehicle and ground speeds and
equalizing the speeds using brake modulation. Too bad there are
plenty of similar bicycle ABS braking patents:
https://patents.google.com/?q=bicycle&q=abs&q=anti-lock&q=brakes

Shimano's problem is "Now that we have an eBike, what else can we do
with the electrical system"? The eBike already has electrical head
and tail lights. Electrically actuated brakes and shifters are
already patented and can probably be integrated in an eBike electrical
system. There's probably something patented to electrically power
accessories (cell phone, GPS, performance monitoring, night vision,
cable lock, horn, bell, etc). Not much left that could be patented.
Might as well patent something that nobody really needs of wants, but
might prove useful should someone else try to make and sell it. That's
the logic of a patent troll and has been used to justify an amazing
collection of useless devices in anticipation of the associated
science fiction becoming reality.

No clue if Shimano will actually produce an ABS product. My guess(tm)
is they will, just to test the market and determine how much people
are willing to pay. I would expect to read reviews claiming that
bicycle ABS is either the greatest or the worst idea of the season. Of
course, the "safety first" flag will be waved for the occasion.

Next step... electrically heated bicycle saddle. We already have
heated handlebar grips:
https://gearjunkie.com/heated-bike-grips

Coming soon to the LBS in your neighborhood, the all electric bicycle.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D