Old November 16th 19, 04:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default worn pants

On 11/16/2019 10:56 AM, Dieter Britz wrote:
I know probably most of you are recreational cyclists,
using lycra gear, but I ride my bike to work and back
every day, and I wear a hole into the seat of my pants
after a year or two. The rest of the pants are still OK.

Would one of those sheep skin seat covers help with that?
I have a fairly hard racing saddle.

I have no personal experience with the fuzzy saddle covers, but I'd
guess they would help.

Back when I used leather saddles, my commute distance increased from 2.5
miles to 7 miles each way when I changed jobs. I was then distressed by
dark stains on my lighter work trousers.

I then began using a thick (maybe 0.005") plastic bag as a saddle cover.
That solved my problem, and I wonder if it might solve yours. The
polyethylene bag has much less friction than the leather.

Eventually, I switched to synthetic saddles that solved the stain
problem. The saddle's lycra cover doesn't cause stains, IME.

I've had some pants eventually show wear, but my wife seems to think I
should buy new trousers ever five to ten years anyway. Go figure!

--
- Frank Krygowski