Old April 5th 04, 04:56 PM
Simon Mason

Default Quinoa seeds.

I was interested in the Cycling Plus recipe this month, so set out to look
for some Quinoa seeds (in Hull!). Looked on the 'net and saw Asda stocked
them, so popped in to our nearest one. No trace of them at all, so went to
the Indian supermarket where they stock all sorts of obscure stuff.

Showed the bloke behind the counter the name and he scratched his head for a
bit before saying they didn't stock them as they were South American and
this was an Indian. I restrained myself from pointing out that they also
stocked cous cous and pasta and neither of those is Indian.

Finally gravitated to the "very expensive shelf" at Sainsbury's where you
can get a small vial of vinegar for three quid and other such rip offs.
There, at 3 pounds 60 for a small 500g box were the seeds themselves.
Apparently you can grow them yourself so I got some seed trays and put some
in a propagator.

Not really a lot to them, fairly bland seeds unless you add a fair bit of
seasoning, but they were very filling and are supposed to be as a near a
perfect food as it's possible to get, so I might get some more in the
future.

--
Simon Mason
Anlaby