Old May 19th 12, 04:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

Default Bicycle Infrastructure and Safety: Death in PDX

On May 19, 8:04 am, Jay Beattie wrote:
Not withstanding bike lanes and green boxes, it is still possible to
get squashed by a truck in downtown Portland.http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...cyclists_death...
Now they are talking about putting in complicated warning lights.

Oddly enough, we got these green boxes and lanes exactly because a
girl got squashed by a turning truck in another part of down town.
None of this stuff is a guaranty that you are going to be seen by a
giant, slow moving truck with mirrors mounted six feet off the
ground. I am absolutely not placing blame, but with the speed
differences in the two vehicles (nimble bike versus lumbering semi on
narrow downtown street with short blocks between lights), I always
wonder how these truck squash incidents occur.

I haven't reviewed this incident (saw it on the morning news the next
day), but ISTM it's a big, big world with all different kinds of
different people with all different focuses and priorities and
perceptions (witness discussion on rbt :-) For me, it always comes
back to situational awareness and what matters to me at every given
moment. I occasionally reflect on why I haven't bought the farm yet -
luck is definitely part of it.