Old August 12th 17, 08:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Stress Analysis in the Design of Bicycle Infrastructure

On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 8:00:45 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 10:45:41 AM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
Snipped
We can now ride all the way to Walmart, brewpubs and other places in
Placerville on mostly dirt roads and singletrack though some of it isn't
for the faint of heart. Works for me. I simply adjusted my spending of
money to businesses that can be reached that way. Heck, even one of my
clients and a software engineer I network with are located directly on
that trail.

The downside is that I am going through a lot of rear tires. Oh well.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

I can ride all the way from London Ontario Canada to Ottawa Ontario Canada and i can do it without going onto dirt roads or bicycle paths/trails if I want to. There are many, many places in Ontario Canada where i can ride a bicycle too without having to use bicycle paths or trails.

I find many bicycle lanes, paths and trails to be very hazardous to use due to their extremely poor design (poor sight lines for example; being in the door zone, or being on the right side of a right turning motor vehicle lane) or because they are MUP/MUT.

If I were to ride only in designated bicycle lanes or one segregated bicycle paths then I'd be doing very little bicycling because we don not have segregated bicycle paths here and for that I'm very thankful. I can hop on my bicycle and go to where I want to be (even if it''s a hundred plus miles away) by using, GASP!, paved roads shared with motor vehicles.

Maybe YOU need segregated bicycling facilities in order to ride your bicycle but thousands of us do not nor do we constantly push for such segregated facilities.

In San Francisco in many places where there are "bicycle lanes" I've watched someone in an SUV open a door which extended far beyond the bike lane.