Old September 6th 17, 03:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Obstructions

On Tuesday, September 5, 2017 at 4:32:03 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 06/09/17 08:12, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/5/2017 4:58 PM, James wrote:
Yesterday I rode 67km out to a dam and back (33.5km each way).

Descending the range near home, I passed a blue tongue
lizard that appeared to be attempting a road crossing.

There were numerous dead wallabies on the side of the road,
and a dead fox on the road.

A magpie swooped me several times but didn't make contact,
unlike the one on Friday.

A wallaby darted off the road ahead of me, and a goanna just
under a metre long ran across the road just ahead of me as
well.

No snakes this time, but goannas have been known to mistake
a person for a tree and climb up. With razor sharp claws
and venom in their bite, they are not to be trifled with!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/201...ia_a_21627361/

Seriously though, the risk of death by goanna bite is
probably about as high as the chances of winning lotto for
someone who doesn't buy tickets.

Council have stockpiled materials to replace a pick-a-plank
bridge along the road, so another terrible danger will soon
be gone.

Yikes! I thought our unseasonably cool, windy, wet morning sucked.
It was not as daunting as your ride!

Oh, I had to contend with strong wind as well, however it was warm, dry
and sunny here. No rain for over 4 months so far, but it is likely the
drought will break over the next couple of months as the temperature and
humidity increase.

However, you can keep your unseasonably cool, windy and wet. That kind
of weather I don't miss since leaving Melbourne.

It's scorching here -- literally.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/wind-whip...075128654.html

It's hard to breathe with all the smoke (no joke), but at least no mamba snakes or poisonous lizards crawling up my legs. This is the hottest summer on record in PDX, and it's getting old fast. We need a huge dump to put out all the fires, and that's not in the forecast.

-- Jay Beattie.