Old November 21st 04, 07:39 PM
Tall_Dave

It's a long time since I worked as a sports trainer, so I'll leave that
all alone, but as a sculptor, I will share my thoughts from a technical
angle.

One way to make a grip that will perfectly fit your hand would be to use
a synthetic polymer*over a 'keyed' metal armature (skeleton).

For example, make an armature in steel/aluminium which projects forward
from the front handle bracket bolts, or the seat post (like a brake
lever). Have grooves/ lumps (like on rebar) for the gloop to bond/key
to.

With gloves on, mix up a batch of muck and form a ball in the palm of
your hand. Squeeze it over the armature and keep still until it sets up
enough for you to let go.

Generally the longer something takes to dry, the stronger it will be.

When it's dry file off the sharp bits and sand it all smoooth.

* Gloop ideas:

auto-body-filler
fibre reinforced epoxy
PC-7
JB Weld
expanding polyurethane foaming resin

-Polyester resin might be a bit brittle

If you wanted to, you could do the maquette in wax/plaster/plasticine
etc and cast multiples for others to use, in gloop as above.

I'm imagining that such an item might have lots of little overhangs etc
which would preclude a rigid mold - you might think about a product from
Corning called "Silastic 3487" for a flexible mold making material. It's
not cheap, but if you were planning on making lots, it would be
economical.

If you're interested, i could sketch out a rough plan for you, and
attach it as an image file.

David

--
Tall_Dave