Old August 21st 05, 02:03 PM
Resound

Default Warning: H*lm*t content

"Gemma_k" wrote in message
u...

"Bleve" wrote in message
ups.com...

Euan wrote:
"Bob" == Bob writes:

Bob The only link is that mandatory wearing of helmets, at one
Bob point in time, discouraged cyclists, reducing cyclist
Bob numbers. I think everyone is over that by now - does it really
Bob discourage anyone anymore?

Absolutely. It's a hot and smelly inconvenience which is off-putting to
the fashion conscious.

Stackhats went out in, oh, 1980? Modern helmets are light, well
ventilated and comfortable.

You miss the point. It doesn't matter how good a helmet is to wear, or
how safe you feel in one, or how many vents there are or what kind of
hairstyle you have. It's all about the choice of whther you WANT to wear
a helmet, rather than mandating that you do....
Gemma

I'm still undecided about whether the law should mandate helmet use for
adults. However, children don't have the sort of decision making abilities
that adults do, that's why they're considered children. In the same way that
it's illegal for children to smoke tobacco, drink alcohol etc it should be
illegal for them to partake of risk taking behaviour like riding without a
helmet. Once they're an adult they should perhaps be allowed to make up
their own minds. Then there's the issue of the public health system
subsidising people's voluntary risk taking behaviour. But that's another
rant.