Old August 22nd 05, 12:06 AM
Ray Peace

Default Warning: H*lm*t content

Flying Echidna wrote:
On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 09:06:37 GMT, Euan wrote
in aus.bicycle:

... Dr Dorothy Robinson's concern, instead, is bicycle safety. She has
just published a study in the Health Promotion Journal of Australia that
is likely to send shock waves through Australian cycling communities
with its claim that mandatory bicycle helmet laws increase rather than
decrease the likelihood of injuries to cyclists.

http://melbourne.citysearch.com.au/profile?id=53571

Personally I'd still use a helmet in winter 'cause it's a handy place to
put lights :-) Summer I'd leave the lid behind and wear a sun hat.

Dr Robinson still cycling in her satin flaired trousers , platform
shoes and floral paisley top must be a sight to behold. I wouldn't
admit to still owning the clothes I wore in 1971 let alone claim to
wear them

Regards
Prickles

Greetings,
I was wearing a helmet long before they became mandatory, and have
wrecked several in crashes, I prefer to wreck the helmet rather than my
skull. But the helmet is merely a last line of defence, not something
that prevents accidents, and if 1.5 tonnes of metal collects you at 100
k/mh, you are dead whichever way you cut it.
The number of cars of world roads has doubled in the past 20 years, from
500 million to one billion, and is still increasing. Given that the
roads are at best marginally better, accidents are almost inevitable.
Cyclists tend to get the attention as they are more directly vulnerable
to impact.
I drive a car as well as ride a bike, but I do not drive like some of
the arrogant, aggro morons I regularly see on the roads in this area.
Attitudes are as much a part of the problem as anything else, and
changing them is an uphill battle. Helmets are certainly improved in the
past 20 years, unfortunately, the situation on the roads has gone in the
opposite direction.
Regards,
Ray.